Lately, with the lack of tech shows on TV, I've turned to video podcasts. But I'd much rather watch them on my TV rather than my PC.
If you have a media server appliance like the DSM-320 then you're one step closer. The problem I ran into was finding a painless way in converting the streams to a format that the DSM-320 could play. Here's what I found works best:
1. DSM-320 installed and connected to your TV.
2. Wi-Fi or router connected to DSM-320 on your network.
2. Download and Install Nero Recode. Trial available here: http://www.nero.com/redir.php?id=129
3. Download/Install and Run D-link media server Version 1.05
4. Make sure that your DSM-320 has the latest firmware. (1.08)
To watch a video podcast
1. Download the podcast video, preferably in WMV or Quicktime but it doesn't really matter as Nero Recodes it to the right MPEG-4 Format
2. Run Nero Recode and select option 4 ("Decode DVD's and Videos to Nero Digital).
3. Output the file to a directory (My Videos)
4. Make sure the D-Link Media server has the above My Videos directory in the Shared Folder Path
5. Select Refresh on D-Link Media Server
6. Watch on converted podcast on TV, under video option on DSM-320 menu
Now it's like having the tech shows back on TV again, fullscreen and in optimal quality MPEG-4 Streams that save disk space!!!